“Save the Cat!: The Last Book on Screenwriting You’ll Ever Need” by Blake Snyder provides a useful framework for marketing strategies.
Snyder’s “beat sheet” formula, originally designed for screenwriting, can be adapted to create a structured and engaging marketing plan that achieves desired outcomes.
The formula covers introducing the product or brand, stating its unique value proposition, identifying potential obstacles, and creating memorable and exciting marketing “set pieces” that culminate in a successful outcome for the target audience.
Steps (or Plots)
15 steps to write a compelling story, used by most best-selling movies and books.
I made a short mind mapping that can help you
- Setup: Introduce your product or brand, the market it operates in, and the problem it solves.
- Theme Stated: Clearly state the unique value proposition of your product or brand and make it relatable to your target audience.
- Catalyst: Identify the event or trigger that sets your marketing plan in motion.
- Debate: Consider the internal conflict or obstacles that may arise in your marketing plan and find solutions to overcome them.
- Break into Two: Decide to take action and pursue your marketing plan.
- B Story: Develop a secondary marketing strategy or campaign that complements your main marketing plan and provides a contrast.
- Fun and Games: Implement your main marketing plan and face challenges and obstacles along the way. Create memorable marketing “set pieces” that engage and excite your target audience.
- Midpoint: Prepare for a potential setback in your marketing plan and have a contingency plan in place.
- Bad Guys Close In: Increase the pressure and urgency of your marketing plan as you approach the climax.
- All is Lost: Identify the lowest point in your marketing plan and find ways to overcome it.
- Dark Night of the Soul: Re-evaluate your marketing plan and make any necessary changes to ensure its success.
- Break into Three: Rally your team and make a final push towards the success of your marketing plan.
- Finale: Celebrate the success of your marketing plan and make it memorable for your target audience.
“Save the Cat” provides valuable insights for marketers looking to create a compelling and effective marketing strategy.
By adapting Snyder’s “beat sheet” formula, marketers can create a structured and engaging plan that not only achieves desired outcomes but also captivates and excites their target audience.
From introducing the product or brand to creating memorable marketing “set pieces,” the formula covers all the essential elements of a successful marketing plan.
Create a marketing plan that is not only effective but also memorable and engaging for the audience.